Table of Contents
5 Tips To Keep Your Hotel Rodent Free
Even the most luxurious hotels can experience rodent infestations – especially nowadays as many urban areas experience a surge in pests. In addition to causing significant property damage, rats and mice can also contaminate food sources and spread dangerous diseases through their urine and fecal droppings, including Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS), which can be fatal. As highly intelligent animals, rodents are very resourceful and can easily navigate around large complexes to find sources of food and water. This can make them difficult to get rid of which is why it’s imperative to call a professional pest control service to eradicate the problem as soon as it occurs. And all it takes is one quick sighting from a guest to ruin the reputation of your entire hotel brand. To avoid landing in hot water with your guests or being served with a potential lawsuit from your local health department, follow these tips to keep your hotel rodent free.
Eliminate Food and Water Sources
Pest Control for the 21st Century.
Integral Pest Services is a new kind of pest control, we are redefining how the pest control industry should be.
We have a dedicated team of licensed professionals ready to take on any commercial pest problem.
We believe in taking a proactive approach to pest control by getting to the root cause of the problem and treating it from there, utilizing the latest technology and industry-leading pest control procedures.
If your hotel offers food and beverage services to guests, it will be particularly vulnerable to rodent infestations. Whether it’s in-room dining or at the hotel restaurant, this creates many opportunities for them to seek out their next meal. Rodents also have an incredibly powerful sense of smell. They can detect food scraps and crumbs through walls, doors, packaging and other obstacles. So, any food waste or dirty dishes left behind from guests can give them a good reason to invade the premises.
We guarantee our services and know that by working directly with you, we will solve any pest problems you may have and keep them from coming back. We are your strategic pest control partner.
We promise you; you will not be disappointed.
- Store all food items in pest-proof containers
- Keep the kitchen and prep areas crystal clean, especially the floors and storage racks
- Ensure all dirty dishes and food waste are removed from the hotel rooms every day
- Put the garbage out for regular collection (even if the dumpster is only half full)
- Store dumpsters away from hotel entrances to avoid luring rodents toward any access points
- Clean and spray down the dumpsters and garbage cans regularly
- If your hotel composts, make sure to use a pest-proof compost container
Seal off food and water sources by doing the following:
Eliminate Hiding Spots
Rats love to hide behind boxes, furniture, and under piles of dirty linens. If your hotel has clutter around or in the storage room, laundry room or garbage facility, this could create a potential hot spot for them to infest.
Remove clutter by doing the following:
- Place dirty linens neatly in baskets off of the ground
- Tear down boxes and throw them out immediately
- Vacuum under beds, behind dressers and chairs daily
- Rotate pantry items frequently and don’t leave items on the skids
Seal Off Entry Points
Rodents typically enter hotels through small holes around the foundation. But they can also gain entry through poorly sealed ducts, drainage pipe holes and open doorways. If you want to prevent rodents from coming back (even after you’ve hired a pest control company), any holes or potential entry points must be sealed up.
To eliminate entry points, do the following:
- Use steel mesh to cover vents and ducts
- Seal up any holes or gaps found on the roof
- Repair foundation holes or cracks
- Use a sealant to close up drainage pipe holes
- Install door jams on all entry doors
Request a Consultation
Your staff will always be your front line of defence in the hotel business, even against infestations. That’s why it’s important to conduct regular pest training with your team so they know exactly how to identify a potential problem and where to report it.
Train staff on the following:
- Proper cleaning and storage procedures to avoid an infestation
- Early indicators of mice or rats in the hotel (droppings, urine detection)
- Proper sanitization protocols if rodent droppings or urine are found
- How to discretely deal with and report a pest issue
Create A Pest Remediation Plan
When it comes to rodents, it’s always better to be proactive than reactive– especially when you’re in the hotel business. Instead of waiting for guests or staff to identify a rat problem, hire a pest control company that can perform a thorough inspection. They will be able to detect any red flags, even before a full-blown infestation occurs. These preventative measures can ensure that any vulnerable areas are quickly identified and addressed to reduce the likelihood of a pest infestation from occurring and ruining your hotel’s reputation.
If your hotel is experiencing a rodent infestation, or if you’re looking to arrange regular pest control treatments to prevent one, contact our expert team at Integral Pest for the most advanced and effective pest control system in Canada.
Need Expert Help?
We understand bed bugs and we work hard to understand your unique situation. We take the time to assess each job and develop a customized pest control plan to rapidly knockdown bed bugs while working with you to prevent them from coming back. Request a free no-obligation consultation!
For Immediate Service Please Call 604-839-7378